How can you find affordable textbooks?
- Review your syllabus carefully to determine required materials for the course
- Visit your bookstore website to review their affordable offerings including
- digital textbook rentals
- printed textbook rentals
- used textbooks
- Learn the advantages to using digital readers because digital materials tend to be less costly
Alternative Textbook Resources
Note you should check your syllabus to verify the alternative content you select will be relevant for your course.
How Can You Become Involved?
CSU Students you have a voice:
- Become active in your campus Student Government to be an advocate of Affordable Course Materials.
- A growing number of CSU student government associations have passed Affordable Learning Solutions Resolutions on their campuses.
- Contact your campus Affordable Learning Solutions group and volunteer to participate in your campus AL$ initiatives
- Encourage your instructors to consider Affordable Learning Solutions opportunities available through your campus AL$ group.
- Connect with the California State Student Association (CSSA)
Helpful Resources for you to Advocate for Affordable Textbooks
How AL$ is Helping Students
CSU Affordable Learning Solutions (AL$) enables interested faculty to locate and adopt more affordable, quality educational content for their students. By reducing CSU student course material expenses, more students acquire the course materials they need to succeed and benefit from their CSU learning experience. Now, CSU faculty and students have greater access to quality free and low-cost learning materials through a variety of AL$ programs and partnerships listed above.
Estimated Student Textbook/Course Materials' Savings via the AL$ Campus Grants
Since the inception of the AL$ program in 2010, the estimated student savings on textbooks throughout the CSU has been over $230,000,000. We request savings reports from the campus bookstores, AL$ campus coordinators, and in the past from several of our vendor partners. We rely on the voluntary support from each CSU campus and this past year the majority of the campuses participated in AL$ programs.
Students Save Millions Each Year Through CSU Affordable Learning Solutions in the CSU News, August 2017
CSU Library Resources
Did you know, your CSU library has a wealth of resources and expertise free for students? Your campus library can provide students with access to the highest quality electronic books, online scholarly journal articles, streaming audio and video, and other material for instructional uses -- all at no cost. Your library’s collection of electronic books and journal articles can be especially useful in upper division classes where textbooks are not available to cover the more specialized curriculum.
CSU Campus Bookstore Resources
CSU campus bookstores provide many services including working with course material providers to provide traditional print textbooks, eTextbooks, and other learning material options. Your campus store offers its students and faculty multiple choices whether you are looking for new-used-rental print textbooks, eTextbooks, adaptive courseware or custom publishing resources. CSU campus bookstores have search tools available that assist students in finding the most affordable options available for the course materials they require for their classes.